7 Bedroom Semi-Detached House - GRADE 2* LISTED
- GRADE 2* LISTED
- Planning for 6 Bed & 6 Bathrooms - All Plans Passed by CADW.
A former Coaching Inn situated in a sought after and convenient location, situated on the Isle of Anglesey.
The property is ready for immediate renovation with the relevant permission from the CADW in place, and would make an impressive Country Home. However, considerable renovation work is required to bring the property up to modern standards.
The former Inn is distributed over two floors, with extensive cellar space below; is well presented and of a good size, and consists of 8 rooms on the ground floor, 8 rooms on the first floor and an extra 5/6 rooms in the cellar.
Renovation plans have already been approved for a conversion to 6 bedrooms, 6 bath/shower rooms and a further bedroom and bathroom suite in the loft.
All drawings and consents are included within the property purchase.
Externally is a large area of lawn to the front with a driveway crossing from one gateway to the other, both of which exit onto the main road. To the side is a set of gates leading to the rear, where there is a large, fully enclosed courtyard, with cobbled borders and a hard standing centre. Set around 3 sides of the courtyard are two story out buildings, including 5 coach houses. Behind one of the wings of outbuildings is an orchard, housing ancient apple trees of the period. The orchard is now overgrown.
Set in the courtyard are a number of static caravans, with adjoining structures and all amenities.
The building was designed and overseen by Thomas Telford as part of the Post Road from London to Ireland in the early 1800s.
In 1811 the Lords of His Majesty's Treasury directed Mr. Telford, a civil engineer, to survey the road from London to Holyhead as there was grave concern over the King's package (Royal Mail) reaching Ireland safely and speedily.
In 1819, the field called Caer Mon was chosen to be the site of the new half way house, as it was located 14 miles from Holyhead and 9 miles from the Bangor ferry crossing. The locals opposed this, and repeatedly removed the mileposts.
Mona was built by William Roberts, the owner of the Caer Mon, with the Commissioners agreeing to reimburse him on completion of the Inn, the total cost of £3,000. On 28th May 1821, a part payment of £675 for the new Inn was made. It is assumed that the balance was paid on completion in 1822, but no records have been found to confirm this. The Inn was opened to travelers in 1822, and is said to be the only purpose built in on the historic A5.
*The guide price may not always be the same as the reserve price .The guide is an indication given by the Auctioneer. Where the guide price is a bracket figure, the reserve cannot exceed the top end of the bracket price. If the guide price is a single figure, then the reserve can be up to 10% in excess of this.
We would like to point out that all measurements, floor plans and photographs are for guidance purposes only (photographs may be taken with a wide angled/zoom lens), and dimensions, shapes and precise locations may differ to those set out in these sales particulars which are approximate and intended for guidance purposes only.
These particulars, whilst believed to be accurate are set out as a general outline only for guidance and do not constitute any part of an offer or contract. Intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements of representation of fact, but most satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their accuracy. No person in this firms employment has the authority to make or give any representation or warranty in respect of the property.
Mona Inn, Mona, Llangefni, LL77 7EQ